Wednesday, May 27, 2009

June 2009 - Troop 36 Eagle project

My name is Nolan Rivkin, I am currently 17 years old (18 on July 26th, 2009), and I am a Life Scout with Troop 36 in Valley Village. I have been with Troop 36 since I first bridged in 2002, and before then I was a Cub Scout in Troop 311, which has close ties to Troop 36. I have reached the end of my career as a Boy Scout, and have reached the second-to-last step to achieving the rank of Eagle Scout: the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project.

For my project, I have chosen to refurbish and re-paint the garbage and recycling cans at Placerita Canyon State Park in Santa Clarita, only a short hop North on the 5 Freeway. This park is enjoyed by visitors from all across the County of Los Angeles and community of Santa Clarita. The garbage bins at Placerita have become dilapidated and rust-encrusted, and there currently are no recycling cans. Additionally, the poorly-designed lids (which are attached to the cans with a hinge system) frequently grab garbage bags in the hinge and rip holes in them, which is not very fun or easy to clean up, and it just looks awful. The purpose of my project is to clean out the rust that is covering the interior of the cans, re-paint the garbage cans (and designate several new recycling cans with a dark blue paint and recycling symbol) with a weather-resistant paint, and attach new lids to the cans using a loose chain, to anchor the lids to the cans without having to use a garbage bag-destroying hinge.

I am in dire need of volunteers to perform simple manual labor. This is a labor-intensive project that is contingent upon the work of the volunteers I can enlist. I can offer free lunch, snacks, and drinks to all those who volunteer, as well as my gratitude. The project will take place over 2-3 weekends after Memorial Day but before June 23rd, with the first workday being June 6th, 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM. If the any of the Scouts in your Troop are interesting in helping with finishing this project, they should either call or e-mail me at the address listed below to me what days they will be available to work. All potential volunteers should note that we will be doing work in a very hot environment and we will be using paint, so please dress accordingly (t-shirts and shorts you don’t mind getting blue and green paint splatters on), and do not forget sunscreen. There will be a shaded rest area and plenty of water available.

Thank you for any help that you can provide, and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Nolan Rivkin
2815 Nichols Canyon Road
Los Angeles, CA 90046
(323) 874-0127
nolanriv@gmail.com

No comments: