Sunday, June 21, 2009

In memory: Vernon A. Fagin, 1949 - 2009


Graveside Service
Thursday, July 2, 2009, 1 pm
Forest Lawn Memorial Park
6300 Forest Lawn Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90068


Donations in memory of Vern can be made to The UCLA Wooden Athletic Fund




Dear Scouting Family,

Troop 139 is very sad to announce we have suffered a heartbreaking loss of our beloved friend and dedicated Assistant Scoutmaster, Mr. Vern Fagin.

Vern was a talented and enthusiastic Scouter who loved talking about Scouting every chance he could get. Just recently he wowed the audience at Wolfie Shapiro's Eagle Court of Honor, speaking on the Scout Oath and Law. Vern served Troop 139 as its Training Chair. He was also active in the WLAC Council, working on the Wood Badge training staff, teaching Scoutmaster Fundamentals training, and was active on the WLAC Council's High Adventure Team and served as High Adventure Chair for Cahuenga District. He was an Attorney at Law and held a Ph.D. in History. He is survived by a brother and sister and his son, Matt Michelson-Fagin, who earned his Eagle Scout Rank in Troop 139 in 2004. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them. Vern will be sorely missed.

Max Goldberg
Chairman, Cahuenga District




Hello fellow Scouters and High-Adventure members,

It is with immense sadness that I send you this email. My right hand man has passed away. As I have heard second hand he died at home Monday night. It is so hard for me to even type this right now.

I would hope, with all of my heart... that you will all be there... no matter how many miles you have to travel... to pay your respects to Vern and his family. Vern was one of the greatest Scouters I have known, he helped us to do our best as a team in everything he was involved with, and he was always fun to be with while doing what he did.

I wish I could say even more eloquent things about him right now but my tears are hitting the keyboard.

Please keep him and his son in your mind today and remember all the fun times you spent with him, that is what he would want!

Tamber Lynn Johnson
HAT Chair, WLACC
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 10, Reseda

5 comments:

Janice said...

My name is Janice Lucas Volk and Vern was my mentor, my big brother and my protector. He was a senior Attorney at Wilson, Elser when I first started until my retirement. He was a good, loyal and protective man. I will miss him for the rest of my days and seeing his picture, being so typically "Vernie" weighs heavily on my heart. To my dear Matt, me and my family are here for you. I remember with great fondnees the day we spent at the beach; you, me, your Dad & Rudy. I loved your Dad as I would family, and you can count on us. Love, Janice Lucas

Janice said...

My name is Janice Lucas Volk and Vern was my mentor, my big brother and my protector. He was a senior Attorney at Wilson, Elser when I first started until my retirement. He was a good, loyal and protective man. I will miss him for the rest of my days and seeing his picture, being so typically "Vernie," weighs heavily on my heart. To my dear Matt, my family and I are here for you. I remember with great fondness the day we spent at the beach; you, me, your Dad & Rudy. I loved your Dad as I would family, and you can count on us. Love, Janice Lucas

David Schwed said...

Vern was our attorney. He helped us when our company was just getting started. Once, he got us a contract just by walking in the door. Our client's attorney had gone up against him. He said, "If Vern is their attorney I'm confident we can work with this company. He was always helpful, kind and inspirational. Teresa and I consider him a friend. We were so sorry to hear of his passing. He's a beautiful man.

mdgnys said...

Mr. Fagin was My Assistant scoutmaster, We all miss him very much. We brought a diet dr pepper to the first meeting after he passed, In his memory.

Bennett Goldberg said...

Matt,

This comes as a great shock to me but an even greater loss. Although your dad and I had lost touch in more recent times we were all but brothers at one time. Some of my fondest memories are of the years we played baseball together, attended Dodger games and shared virtually every confidence.

One rarely finds a friend that they can truly trust and honestly share the best as well as the worst of times with. I truly regret having missed the opportunity to say goodbye and to tell your dad how much I loved him, but I take some small comfort in believing that he may have known just how rare and precious his friendship was.

Matt, although it's been quit some time, know that I'm here for you if you need anything and that past memories of your father hold a special place in my heart. Having had such a great friend was a blessing.

With our thoughts and our prayers,

Bennett (Buzz) Goldberg, Aaryn & Jordan