Thursday, October 22, 2009

Eagle Scout Project at Vasquez Rocks Park

My name is Karcsi Toghia and I am a Life Scout with Troop 92 in Northridge. I have been with Troop 92 for 4 years and ever since I joined, have wanted to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout. It is now time for me to complete my Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project and since I turn 18 at the end of February, I am on a fast track to finish.

I have chosen for my project repairs and prevention of erosion on a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail at Vasquez Rocks Natural Park in Aqua Dulce, off the 14 freeway. The length of the trail is approximately 2/10ths of a mile (320 meters). Some of the repairs are to remove the burm, tread and sloughing to make the trail level, create water bars and build a retaining wall of approximately 36 feet to prevent erosion. Once repaired, the trail will be safer, more resistant to the natural elements such as rain and wind, and bring enjoyment and safety to hikers for a long time.

I am asking for volunteers to help with manual labor to get my project done long before Thanksgiving. I will offer snacks, free lunch and water and I only ask that you bring personal water bottles or backpacks that hold water (such as Camelbak) if you can to avoid disposable water bottles.

I have scheduled to start on Saturday, October 31st from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and Sunday, November 1st from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. I have also put aside Saturday, November 7th from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Please call or email me to let me know if the Scouts in your Troop are interested in helping with this project and when they could come to help.

Wear clothes for working outside, especially boots or closed toed shoes and don’t forget your sunscreen. There will be a limited amount of shovels and other tools, but if you have any, please bring them. We will have a base camp with shade for rest and refreshments. Transportation to the base camp and project area will also be provided.

I appreciate any support you can give me and look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,

Karcsi Toghia
Life Scout
Troop 92
(818) 486-1007 cell
Simpsons4110@yahoo.com

No comments: