Sunday, August 23, 2009

October 4, 2009 - Victory over Violence 5K / 10K at CSUN

My name is Joshua Stepakoff and I am an Eagle Scout in Troop 911.

This August marks the 10th anniversary of the North Valley Jewish Community Center (NVJCC) shooting, where I was one of three young children shot along with a camp counselor, a receptionist, and later a U.S. Postal worker who sadly died. After the shooting, I received an incredible outpouring of support from our community, from all over the country, and from around the world.

Every day, over 250 people across our country are injured or killed by gun violence, and many do not have access to the support that I had. As an Eagle Scout, I have been taught that it is my responsibility to not only give back to those who helped me but to help other people at all times. To commemorate this 10th anniversary I am helping to organize Victory Over Violence, a 5K/10K walk/run/kids fun run at CSUN on Oct 4, that will increase awareness about gun violence in our community and raise money to help victims of gun violence. Participants of all ages and abilities are welcome, and you can participate as an individual, or form a team with your Pack, Troop, friends, relatives, or co-workers.

I need your help as either a participant, sponsor, or volunteer.


You can contact me at VOV09@earthlink.net if you have any questions or if you need additional information.

Thank you for your support,

Josh Stepakoff

No comments: